Cromey Online

The writings of author, therapist, and priest Robert Warren Cromey.

Friday, March 16, 2012

CANTERBURY RESIGNS

I had lunch with Rowan Williams at Christ Church College in Oxford when Ann and I were there for a month in 1988. He was charming, oh, so bright and seemed interested in me, my ministry and was a supporter of lesbi/gay rights. He had written some books I had read and I heard him lecture at a series at Grace Cathedral. I was thrilled when he got elected AB.

Needless to say I have been horribly disappointed in him during his decade in office. He chose the unity of the Anglican Communion as his chief goal. Some of our Bishops have also the notion of the unity of the church as a major goal. The AB and our Bishops have failed in that mission. The church is as fractured as it ever was. He pushed the Anglican Covenant that is an abomination which I would not follow for a moment in my preaching, writing and teaching. Anglicanism's great virtue is freedom, flexibility and local control while holding similar world wide views within the framework of the Episcopate, Creeds, Scripture and Sacraments.

I had hoped he would have chosen social justice for all as a major goal.

Thus I am disappointed in his ministry. I am glad he is retiring. I have some sympathy for him as he did not have the thick skin and sharp tongue necessary for the job.

But God only knows what meatball will come next.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like your definition of Anglicanism: "Anglicanism's great virtue is freedom, flexibility and local control while holding similar world wide views within the framework of the Episcopate, Creeds, Scripture and Sacraments." The Archbishop of Canterbury has been a disappointment to many of us. I agree with you that if he had chosen social justice over compromising the truth he might have been a prophet and much-admired leader, even if the result was conflict and division.

2:14 PM  
Anonymous Fred Fenton said...

I like your definition of Anglicanism: "Anglicanism's great virtue is freedom, flexibility and local control while holding similar world wide views within the framework of the Episcopate, Creeds, Scripture and Sacraments." The Archbishop of Canterbury has been a disappointment to many of us. I agree with you that if he had chosen social justice over compromising the truth he might have been a prophet and much-admired leader, even if the result was conflict and division.

2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home