Cromey Online

The writings of author, therapist, and priest Robert Warren Cromey.

Thursday, November 23, 2017

EATING ANIMALS

Thanksgiving Day
Thursday, November 23, 2017

A vegan friend is going to the country to pet a turkey today. I put this line on my FB page.

I know there is cruelty to animals when they are slaughtered or butchered in order that I may eat meat, beef, pork, lamb, chicken and turkey. Cruelty, torture and anything that causes pain are abhorrent to me. Yet my mind and heart are not affected to the process that provides the food I choose too eat. I won’t go fishing because I can’t stand the thought of the pain inflicted on a hooked fish and then see them flounder out of the water unable to breathe, yet I love to eat fish.

I am thankful for the meat, fowl and fish that I eat and enjoy so very much. Yet my heart is a lump of coal then it comes to feelings about the death of the animals.

The reason why is usually a lie or t least a rationalization. Why eat animal and fish flesh? I am conditioned as I have always eaten them, from childhood on. Human beings have always done so. Whatever suffering animals face is far away from my experience. In fact if I were ever to visit an animal slaughterhouse, see the cattle bashed, bleeding, moaning and crashing about, I might give up meat.

In the summer of 1945, I worked on a farm in Oneida, New York, run by Mr. and Mrs. Putman. I helped harvest string beans, helped with the milking and doing whatever chores to which I was assigned. One day Put said he and his neighbors were going to butcher a pig. I used the word slaughter, the men laughed and told me one slaughtered cattle but butchered pigs. (I wonder what word they used for chickens, turkeys, sheep and fish?)

The men dragged the pig outside and strung him upside down. Someone slit the pig throat, blood squirted out and the pig squealed and wriggled as gravity help drain the blood and like out of the pig. It took at least an hour for the pig to die. I hated to watch but I stuck it out. The pig was taken to a butcher who cut it up and froze the parts.

I felt afraid, disgusted and horrified. The other people stood around, laughed, gossiped and joked easily and in a relaxed fashion. I suspect they had done pig-sticking lots of times. I was the virgin to the activity.

There are stories I have read where male and female cooks go out to the chicken coop, grab a fowl bird, grasp it neck and twirl it around until the animal suffocates. The variation on this is the bird is grabbed and the cook slits the throat of the bird. Kosher killing of chicken is similar but the butcher stuns the fowl before cutting the throat and bleeding the chicken.

Many regard industrialized killing of chicken using cold water and electricity as cruel and painful to the animal. The U.S. has not standardized methods for killing chickens.


I will eat meat, fowl and fish. It is nutritious and delicious when prepared well. It is a choice I make knowing that I have closed myself off from the cruelty of killing animals. That is yet another example of the ambiguity of moral choice.

2 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Thanks for this post (on "Thanks"giving, no less).

I try to give thanks to God and to the animal whose flesh I'm eating when I eat meat. It helps just a little bit.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and Ann.

3:00 PM  
Blogger AHarris said...

Robert - When I was about 7 my mother was doing a TV profile of a packing plant in South Dakota and I tagged along. When time came to go into the slaughter house the guide objected but I said I'd be ok. In those days they hit the cows on the head with a sledge hammer, which made an interesting "BONK." Then the pigs came in hanging by one foot squealing bloody murder right before a man cut its carotid. A bloody mess ensued. One cow and one pig after another. My uncle had us watch while he wrung a chicken's neck in the back yard and then chopped its head off. It was fried that night by y G'mother and was absolutely delicious. On top of that, after she quit raising her own, my G'mother used to take us to the Peoria River docks where she picked a live chicken from a cage. The attendant put on rubber gloves and attached its feet to an electrified conveyor belt - even at such a young age I realized the chicken was participating in its own demise, a paradox I still think about: involuntary suicide. I don't know why none of these memories bother me, and that fact doesn't bother me. We did and do these things so millions of people can eat. We also slaughter people (Native Americans, Africans, African Americans) for far less practical reasons. That just seems to be the way things are. Few seem to like it, fewer seem willing to do much about it (including me). Like you said, examples of the ambiguity of moral choice.

4:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home