Cromey Online

The writings of author, therapist, and priest Robert Warren Cromey.

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Disparate Views Held at the Same Time in the Same Mind

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

I realize that I can hold seemingly opposing views in my mind at the same time. I want James Tramel to fail as rector of Trinity, San Francisco. I want Trinity and James Tramel to flourish. (See Feud article below.)

I told this to a friend and he said, “It was an astonishing admission and telling the truth as he had ever heard. I felt happy that he said that. He went on, “Most of us feel that way but seldom admit it to anyone else.” I replied, “The nice thing about being retired, I don’t worry much about what people think of me and what I say. It is an amazing freedom.

Many people think they have to choose sides; things are black and white, right or wrong, good or bad, perfect or imperfect. However, we need to hold disparate views in our minds. I can love my country and hate the U.S. wars in Ira and Afghanistan. I can oppose the Israeli policies toward the Palestinians and love my Jewish friends who disagree with me. I can feel sad that someone I care about hates me and still remember the good times we have had together.

This is a learning that come from experience and aging. Some cane learn it early in life, some of us need more time to mature.

A similar idea is reflected below in this blog in a piece entitled Lois.

RWC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home