Cromey Online

The writings of author, therapist, and priest Robert Warren Cromey.

Wednesday, February 20, 2013

A SHOT AT GUN CONTROL


I wish I could write something original about gun control. All the cogent arguments are out there. I’ll be content with whatever the President can get through the congress. I’ll have to be. It astonishes me that so many Democrats, including Harry Reid, a good guy, can be  staunch believers in gun availability for most people.

I am a moralist enough to hate hunting for sport. Grown men and women loving to kill helpless birds and animals for fun is sickening. Respect for life, all life, is not a bad motto for Christians and also for all human beings. A hunting guide in the TV show Downton Abbey said animals deserve a merciful death. A touch of civility for a professional hunter.

I loved toy guns as a youngster and so did my brother. We played kill the Japanese and Nazis during World War 2. Cap pistols, handguns and pieces of wood sat in for rifles around our toy boxes. Eventually I outgrew them.  Dad forbade BB guns, fearing we might shoot someone’s eye out.

The summer I worked a the farm in Oneida, NY, in 1944, I shot a woodchuck and a robin. I was glad I hit the targets, but felt bad afterward.  I did like handling the rifle, however.  Once in the 1980s I helped clean out a man’s apartment and discovered a small revolver. I took it to a gun store and sold it. I felt creepy just handling it and a bit afraid, too. I might shoot myself or someone else because I was too ignorant of how it really worked.

In high school I thought about going to Annapolis or West Point. I liked the uniforms. Then I found out you needed math and science to prepare for those institutions. I realized that was not for me. I barely passed either subject. It never occurred to me until later that those academies were places where one learned to shoot and kill. Like most kids I idolized the military for its glamour, not seeing deeply that one learned to kill and be killed. I certainly never thought of the pain inflicted or received. The notion of suffering never entered my adolescent mind.

I wobbled between support and opposition during the Korean and Vietnam War. However, during the anti Vietnam war days I realized I could only be a pacifist. I do not want to kill other people. War is madness. The civil rights movement and the writing and speaking of Martin Luther King, Jr. inspired by Gandhi solidified my antiwar convictions. The natural result were my anti-gun sentiments.

As a life long-Episcopalian I heard precious little teaching about the ethics of war and guns. The late Norman Pittenger at The General Theological Seminary did give a powerful talk against hunting. Today the national and diocesan church is silent on gun control. I seldom preached or wrote about gun control. I’ll remedy that. I often preached anti-war sermons.

The Quakers have always seen it as their Christian duty to oppose war. I see it as mine.

I certainly hope churches and seminaries will provide study and sermons dealing with these important issues. Youth groups could expand their programs to include issues of war, guns and alternatives for military careers. Kids can be taught about the joys and perils of being a conscientious objector.

Those of us who follow Jesus as a revolutionary rather than a pale pilgrim, notice his voice rang out for peace, forgiveness and compassion. That plus feeding the hungry and healing the sick were the essence of his words and ministry. We Christians could be leading the way to peace and safety from guns.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Fred Fenton said...

"Grown men and women loving to kill helpless birds and animals for fun is sickening." I heartily agree. Even worse is the terrible treatment of innocent animals in American agribusiness. The "wild animals" on earth are we humans. The silence of the Church about our mistreatment of the animal world is a disgrace.

Government "of the people, by the people, for the people" does not exist in America. A dysfunctional Congress is under the control of big corporations and their lobbyists. The failure of sensible gun control is just one of many examples of this.

7:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You actually reported it perfectly!

My homepage; MCM 通販

6:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

[url=http://saclongchampa.exteen.com/]sac longchamp moins cher[/url] Ultralight compression stuff sack and cotton storage bag included. Hang loops allow easy drying and storage. Closeout.. Best Sale Women Mulberry Somerset Shopper Bag Light Coffee,Mulberry Outlet For Sale With Up To 60% Off. Part of the problem is that we're misinformed about the best way to handle our anger. (By the way, there's a difference between anger, which is frustration at a poor driver, and hostility, which is hoping he runs into the concrete divider.) While you may think that lashing out or hitting a pillow or punching bag helps you release tension, the opposite is true. It teaches you to develop a behavior pattern: Get mad, punch.
[url=http://space.canoe.ca/longchampbagsd/blog/]longchamp soldes[/url] The two biggest factors are Buy Mulberry Bags, Top Quality, Fast Delivery, Handmake Mulberry Zip Around Slim Natural Leather Purse Brown for Women on sale the temperature rating and weight. Backpackers often opt for lighter-weight bags, but you might have to sacrifice weight for temperature rating depending on the weather you plan to backpack in. Other factors include the bag's compression size, the type of sleeping pad it is compatible with, breathability, whether it is windproof and price.
[url=http://longchamppliagea.pblogs.gr/]sac longchamp[/url] An online shopping experience can minimize the amount of effort that is required to ensure that your sustenance needs are thoroughly met whenever they arise. Most of those questions are easy to Brand New Mulberry Oversized Alexa Leather Satchel Red Bag in cheap price Reebonz Australia offers discount answer, unfortunately, some of them do not have only one answer. Wholesale Tote Bags. In basic if you see that anything doesn't seem right on the website, just don't bet on it. I also observed that making an attempt to get a hold of the client support representative via the stay chat is also a discomfort as I wouldn't want to invest money on calling to verify the organization in China. The right size heel, the suitable shade and the classic design and style that would make your feet seem delicate and arch in the right vogue. The one thing though that people should avoid is the street corner seller who just wants to make a fast buck. What these people do is to flash a good copy to whoever is interested. When they make the sale, they change this one for the cheap knock off and the unwary shopper does not find out about this until they get back home..

2:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Concise posting illustrates the incontestable details about adidas shoes and the way it may influence on anyone.|Concise blog post teaches you some of the details of the nike shoes together with something you want to do right away.}[url=http://www.nikejapan.asia/]ナイキシューズ[/url] A bare double turn on nike shoes [url=http://www.adidasjapan.biz/]adidas シューズ[/url] Facts-- adidas shoes May Have A Substantial role In Virtually Any Management The Best Options To Comprehend gucci purse And Ways You Can Be part of The gucci bags Elite [url=http://www.guccijp.asia/]グッチ 財布[/url] All new chloe bags E book Shows you Techniques To Dominate The chloe bags Marketplace [url=http://www.chloejp.biz/]see by chloe[/url] Ten securely-guarded chanel secrets shown in precise detail. [url=http://www.chaneljp.biz/]シャネル 財布[/url] How to master just about everything there is to find related to chanel bags in four rather simple steps.The real story on nike shoes the professionals would not like your business to discover. [url=http://www.adidasjapan.asia/]スニーカー adidas[/url] A tremendous double twirl on nike shoes [url=http://www.nikejp.biz/]nike スニーカー[/url] What industry professionals won't be mentioning with regards to adidas shoes and ways this can affect you actually.

9:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home