Cromey Online

The writings of author, therapist, and priest Robert Warren Cromey.

Monday, April 29, 2019

HAND JOB

Hand Job

Cute name for a manicure and pedicure salon in the Castro is Hand Job. It is at the corner of 18thand Hartford Streets in San Francisco. I went in to the clean warmly lit space. There was a brown leather or Naugahyde couch and two like armchairs. They were deep and comfortable. 

A quite pretty Japanese young woman invited me to sit in one of the chairs. She was in the twenties, perfect skin, black hair and brown eyes. She wore tight jeans and a T-shirt with yellow and red splashes of color. I sat and rested my cane and hat nearby. She gave me a pillow for my lap. I placed my right hand on the pillow as she seated herself on a small red chair at my feet.

She opened a fresh pack of what appeared to be sterilized scissors and nail files. That was impressive. Where I usually go for a manicure, the implements are just sitting there from one customer to the other. I don’t think they are sterilized after each use.

The manicurist worked quickly, cutting and filing and soon finished the nails on my right hand. She then got a bowl of warm water to soak the nails. I noticed something in the bottom of the little bowl. It was a bright yellow lemon slice. Classy, I thought.

Then two men came in. They were seated at each end of the couch. They came prepared for a pedicure as they wore shorts so it was easy to get at their feet. Suddenly, two young black-haired Japanese men placed large bowls of water in front of their customers and sat crossed legged on the floor beside the bowls. They placed the men’s feet into the water and began to gently wash their  feet and proceed to give them pedicures. I left before they might have stayed for manicures.

Meanwhile my manicurist finished cutting and filing my left hand’s fingers. She then placed my left hand into the lemon water, while she buffed and oiled the nails on my right hand. She removed the warm water and gently and firmly massaged my hands and forearms. I closed my eyes and just enjoyed the touch and movement.

Hand Job Salon provided a number of firsts. I had never seen male manicurists before. I loved the lemon. The sterile implements were delightful. The music was quiet probably, Japanese meditation music. 

Cost? $25.00 plus a $5.00 tip. It was twice as much as I paid at High Class Nails and worth it. I am sure to return.

RWC

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home