Cromey Online

The writings of author, therapist, and priest Robert Warren Cromey.

Monday, April 29, 2019

ITEMS FROM MY READING


Quotes are from notes I take when reading. I give credit for a few of them. Others, I either do not remember or have lost them in my often illegible hand writing. I write them for your entertainment and thought. -RWC



Money and Politics

The more you get, the more you have.
The more you give away, the more you are.

I don’t want more money. I want reassurance that I won’t run out of it.

Money has worth only if there is not enough for everybody.

US is a dysfunctional plutocracy.   (Paul Beatty)

I am a Palestinian.  (RWC)

Just don’t let them get you to hate them.

The global move to divest from South Africa is what brought down the apartheid regime.

I’d rather be judged by twelve than be carried by six.

I forget who I am supposed to hate. – Irish saying.

He was a warm compassionate fellow who never stopped feeling sorry for himself.  J.Heller

It is useless to vigil for peace, go to church and demonstrate. It is witness.

“Just about all I could find in favor of war was that it paid well, and liberated children from the pernicious influence of their parents.” -Joseph Heller

Peaceful madmen are ahead of the future. – Gabriel Garcia Marquez








Why I hate the Olympics

Great skills-yes.
Professional amateurs – come on.
Commercials interrupted by events
The lie of perfectionism-No such thing.
You gotta win. Why?
Competition sucks




Death and Dying

Losing a friend is a terrible thing, the memories it shakes loose.  (Peter Robinson)

Choose the death you want.

Mr. R. died last year, he fell off an Alp.

The wrinkled flow of grief.

T.S. Eliot wrote

We die with the dying
See, they depart and we go
With them
We are born with the dead
See they return and bring us with them.

-Little Gidding

I don’t think my life will last forever. But I don’t want it to end.  -rwc


Undertaker’s Vocation

Hope for the living
Hope for the dead.
To serve the living
By caring for the dead.  
(Thomas Lynch, poet and undertaker)

Gladness gleams all the way to the grave. M.O.

I am doomed but life is a magical and mystical gift.

Nobody gets to heaven without a reference letter from the poor.

The church is a community that takes death seriously.

I hope to die gracefully.  -Jerry Garcia

Who died in 1965?
More worthy of honor
Other than Lark, the cow
Who gave to mankind
165,000 liters of milk?








Religion

GOD
Sacred, beauty and mystery,
Holy and infinite
Mysterium tremens
Eternal and honor

Love yourself and then forget it and love the rest of the world.

What is God saying who loves?
It means nothing except love and lust
Love and love.
We all love, so what?

Christ the Redeemer Billiard Parlor.

Recognize untruth as a condition of life is placed beyond good and evil.

The temptation to be less than human is yearning for certainty.

People who came to Jesus did not find a spiritual drill Sargent.




To choose what is difficult
All one’s day
As if it were easy
That is faith

WH Auden

To discover how to be human
Is why we follow the star (WHA)


Jesus – an alternate life.

We are pre-approved. Nothing you can do that will make God stop loving you.

God shows us a way out of no way.


Meek – Charlie Chaplin’s little tramp. Beaten up but moving on with dignity.


Preaching to bishops is like farting too skunks.

A smart mouth Atheist spouts, “There is no God.” Proper answer is “You are not smart enough to be an atheist.”

She is a fundamentalist atheist.

Charlotte Reinemann prays for people by finding a suitable hymn from the hymnal
And playing it on her piano.

The slick mountain of love breaths on us.

The truth is that we know we lie.

A person is a person through other people.

The Church has a preferential option for the poor.

Prophecy is not predicting the future. Prophecy is speaking the true nature of things.

God has skills, plays and grace adequate enough to bring light into darkness.  – Lamott

Faith means we are out of control.

How I hate the shakedown sermons. A. Lamott

Man is born broken. He lives by mending, and the grace of God is the glues. E. O’Niel

The birth of Jesus was the ingress of love.  -Auden

The infinite is made finite.  -Auden

We have mosaic chips of forgiveness.
Bethisms


Looking like someone facing a firing squad while facing a party.

My daughter has a vocabulary of 200 words, 100 of them are awesome.

I hate the book I am reading for the book club. I chose it.

Parents think that raging at their children or their teachers will change what they got in the delivery room.

The drug stores and the banks were anodyne excrescences from huge chains.

She did not finish Silas Marner and couldn’t even finish the cliff notes.

“Her arms spoke too elegantly of the gym.” Bet

“Clergy blessed the debutantes as they blessed the foxhounds in the fall”

“They were shaped by what they had forgotten.” -Beth

Salvation Armani

Growing up means the death of many talents.

I thought I’d go to an Alcohol support group and went to a bar on Third Avenue.



Think About These

An older, not elder, said, “You know what the worst thing about getting older is?”

“Feeling invisible. Olders in community do not feel invisible.

Unhappy people dread ageing

Favorite Eccentric – Who is yours?

She was a human tsunami.

Beauty is to excite the viewer to sublime thought.

Someone’s face whom you love will be as a star, both intimate and vulnerable and you will be both heart shaken and respectful.

He casts his seed into my indignity.
The plumb line in further.

Fucking is a gift of pure comfort as humans do
to each other when they offer themselves to each other.

I am waiting on YOUR hand and foot.

The whole kit and kaboozle.

If you think you are enlightened, go spend a week with your family.

The spectacles we wear and the spectacles we make of our selves.

Marriage is often a matter of dexterity.

“Doesn’t a day like today make you glad to be alive?”
Samuel Becket said, “I would not be so glad as to say that?”

A friend calls his mother: Our Lady of Sorrows.














Odd Ends

I wonder if I have forgiving Lillian for not forgiving me?   Rwc

He was briary.

She undulates into the chair. You are what they see.  – M. Attwood
None of us are young as we were. So What?
Friendship never ages.   -Auden

The more I write, the more I read, the more I write well. -rwc

It is not love that sustains marriage. It is marriage that sustains love.

From The Loved Oneby Evelyn Waugh
About Americans:
They don’t expect you to listen
They talk only for their pleasure
Nothing they say is designed to be heard.
There are many titles in Hollywood. And
Some of them are authentic

It is my combination of melancholy with an English accent, says Waugh.
















0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home